About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Saturday, December 2, 2017

T is for Trio of Trojan Troops

As mentioned earlier today, the acquisition of that rubber Roman was the third of the three poses of Thomas Toys/Poplar Plastic's Romans to come in recently, while I do have a bunch in storage, this is another box ticked here!

They actually look a bit more Greek or Trojan than Roman if you ask me and far more Etruscan! Not rare and probably more common in this factory-painted PVC (Thomas) than the unpainted 'bright-colours' polyethylene you also find them in from Poplar.

2 comments:

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

I don't know about the sabre of the left hand figure but the lorica segmenta inspired armour, marching boots (as opposed to greaves), short sword and the pila on the right figure ( R as viewed) look like an attempt at Roman to me. fwiw.

Hugh Walter said...

I know Ross! It's the hats mate, they're all wrong! And I have a soft spot for the Etruscans so I'm always looking for excuses to attribute figures to them!!! That Swordy Sabrey thing . . . has to do double-duty as a horse whip when he's put in the chariot, hence it's ambiguous design!

H