About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 51-year-old Aspergic CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

S is for Super-Bionicles . . . Not!

Well. It seems we've embarked on a quick pre-Christmas superhero season! These, too, are from Brian Berke, and they're quite cool for what they are, not superheroes, but what look to be quality Bionicle rip-offs and those of you who have followed the Blog for a while will know I consider Lego to be the biggest pirates of all, so I'm always a fan of looks-like-but-isn't legot!

He's not a The Hulk, he's not The Thing . . . he's The Giant . . . a not very jolly looking green giant at that, this is the gift that keeps on giving. Here branded to Ever Bright (Kowloon wholesalers) with a sticker, he is otherwise a completely generic, rack-toy, type chap.

Captain A is for Astral-logo . . . I think we all know who he is really? Red white and blue . . . he's Captain UK . . . err . . . Captain France, n-no . . . Captain Formerly the Russian Federation! I'm joking - even I can see he's Captain Lego-likey!

This is clearly Polymerman! These are (for all my brickbats) very good take-offs of both well-known superheroes and the Bionicle concept and about ten-times cheaper that Bilund's products - I'll bet! Thanks Brian.

Just for the record - Hulk'ing America'n Iron! From China!

2 comments:

Ranalcus said...

It looks quite ok
like some sort of trash made "battle robots"
Yet somehow I feel the quality of the plastic is really, really low

Hugh Walter said...

Well, I've put polypropylene in the tag list as I suspect some 'give', Lego's own Bionicles have similar flexibility so probably a similar polymer, PP holds detail well, but - yes - some of these knock-offs tend to low tolerances at the production stage?

However, the trope with these is that they clip-together trough large ball & socket joints or long'ish rods, so it may well be quite compatible "...with other leading brands"!

Cheers Ranalcus...

H