About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, February 4, 2017

C is for Contribution Fortnight - IX - Novelty Chopsticks from Brian


Well, the title says it all, Brian sent these with the following line; "Seen in Chinatown, NYC, these plastic one piece children's chop sticks are delightfully colorful plastic tat." And I can't disagree with any of his points, they are colorful (you're going native Brian!) ahem . . . colourful plastic and they are delightful tat!




They remind me of the Iwaco erasers, but I suspect a less 'take-apart' more 'over-moulding' technique is involved? Loving the green Panda, the orange tiger looks the part and who didn't have a pink rabbit when they were little . . . you didn't? Sue you parents for mental cruelty, everyone had a pink rabbit! I assume they can be removed and stood next to your place setting?

Brian added; "They somehow cross the divide between toy and practical objects.". Yes, and like nite-lites, candles, 'phone-stands, plant-ties, bottle-stops or bog-brushes we love that sort of thing here at Smallscaleworld! I'm still looking out for the 3-Samurai glass-stand thing that was in Plastic Warrior magazine (I think) ages ago!

I will also assume NKM is the retail-outlet not the brand . . . and did you notice that the piggy-wiggies come in Mr. & Mrs. variants!

Thanks Brian - novel, charming and tat - bargain!

5 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

How about some General Tso's Kitten, I mean chicken.

Terranova47 said...

Hugh, When writing to the UK I automatically revert to the Queen's English for spelling. Unfortunately the latest e-mail software auto corrects spelling back to the US version and I don't always notice.

Jan, I'll look for General Tso's Kitten or Chicken next time I'm in Chinatown. You never know.

Regards, Brian

Hugh Walter said...

Jan - Are kitten-mittens the by-product!

Brian - You know I was only joking....?

H

Jan Ferris said...

Perhaps it could be a break-away product or a special prize for ordering so much in take-out.

Hugh Walter said...

Jan....


....are you suggesting free kitten-mittens for overeater's?!!! This is one of those moments when you need the goggle-eyed emoticon!

H