About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, December 25, 2016

W is for Weihnachts Tannenbaum

Every year I take loads of photographs of the tree as I dress it, and yet apart from the odd one here or on the Facebook, never seem to do anything with them, building a decent enough photographic record of the tree's development over the years, is all! So I thought I'd subject you to a few for the hell of it, and because having decided to do multiple posts today there's a need to produce the posts with whatever's kicking around on the desktop!

And because there's Toy Soldiers involved - if wafer-thin glass can be trusted to wear 'toy' as a moniker! "Elf 'und'safty mate, these 'aint no toys, roight, whachyerself, cutting hazard right there!"

This is the years additions to the family tree, we added a craft-built hedgehog last year, so I got him a mate, while drums and bears have always been favorites, indeed, the growing 'growl' of bears have put in the odd appearance here on the blog!

The soldiers are brilliant; they came from TK Max, and quite by accident, they had a set with a bear, and angel and a couple of other singles, but the only one I could find had a damaged bear (some hammer-fingered lumpty had stove his head in), so I went to a couple of other stores over the last 6 weeks or so, more than once, hoping for a restock, and while the bear never appeared again I did find a set of four little soldiers, 2 to me, 2 to the 'family' tree!

All four - being smaller they will fill the difficult gaps at the top of the tree where the big ones tend to look silly!

I also found these, but they were almost too big at around 5 1/2 or 6-inches, and the finish was poor (mostly hidden by the photo) with the legs streaked matt and gloss where the paint wasn't mixed well, and the hat's paint wearing-off, so I just shelfied them.

I found them in a place called Home Store or something (I'll look it up when I publish - Homesense) which seemed to be a TK Max subsidiary, with furniture instead of clothes, but the same household and gift stuff?

That's it for today, hope you had a good one. Starting tomorrow; a 12-part story of snowman-love!

2 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

Merry Christmas Hugh! Nice collection of Christmas decorations.

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers Jan - Hope you had a happy Christmas yourself!

H