About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

P is for Pride - The Lion



Another piece of tat I found on clearance a couple of few years ago, this is the Olympic team's mascot (as opposed to those awful abominations that represented London2012), whether it was just for those Olympics (hence a 2014 clearance) or is still the mascot I don't know, and I don't need to know - if they changed mascot for Rio, it'll turn-up as clearance tat in about 18 months time!

He certainly seems to have been designed by the same person who did the Olympic mascots, but because he's an actual lion-thing, rather than the WTF-things of London2012, he looks OK, a bit Art Deco - stylistically - but eminently more bearable than the other two!

The thing is - let's be honest - these mascots are now designed first-and-foremost to be worn as a foam-suit by some poor sweating, dehydrated, jobbing-actor who can barely see where he/she's going, while taking muttered instructions from someone with a clipboard and an earpiece!

No comments: