About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, December 10, 2015

F is for Fake French Flats

Actually a couple of these are the original French food premiums (there's a full set in JC Piffret's Figurines Publicitaires) a book you must have on your shelves if you wish to study plastic shite! I haven't got it in front of me so I can't remember the make/issuer (if anyone's got theirs to hand?), but it matters not....

...as this sample contains vehicles from at least four sets; French originals (green sedan), Hong Kong and China (most of the rest) and an unknown lumpy gold one. They are also a mix of hard styrene, soft ethylene and a harder propylene, so here as a guide only, because they've come-in and because they're plastic shite!

2 comments:

Ed and Bettina Berg said...

They don't appear do have any base to sit them upright - that would be kinda difficult for a youngin' to play with. Most flats have at least a minimal base so that they can stand on their own.

Hugh Walter said...

They are very odd Ed, which is why I passed over them so quickly! They may have had a deep card album you could sit them in, it's not shown in Piffret's book as far as I can remember, but there was a craze for them in the late 60's and early 70's, coins, badges, shields etc...you sent away for the album (or picked it up at a garage/service station or shop/store - depending on the promoter/promotion) and placed the things in the little cut-out indentations.

I've had the Sedan before in a British Christmas cracker, so the moulds and their clones have done the rounds! With a French original there is a chance of getting them to balance on the tyres which are slightly flat round the outside edge, but basically you're right, they'd have limited play value?

H