About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

S is for Sportsmen set

This is a 'bitty' post, in order to compare the various types/issues I had to spread them all out on the floor, which produced a fuzzy image, so I then took two closer pictures and 'stitched' them, gaining a bit of detail but losing the card! So if you are a fastidious packaging collector, click on the upper photo, if you're more interested in the figures - click on the lower one.

The Originals (shooter, bottom left) were produced as premiums all over the world, and various other sets either influenced the premium set, or were based on it. There are at least ten poses running through the various issues, from left to right (footballer ended up in two files? I'm tired!);
Shooting Competitor
Gymnast/Diver
Fencer
Swimmer/Diver
Discus Thrower
Runner
Javelin
Footballer
Weightlifter
Boxer

Underneath the HK figures are some influencing/based on them, the aforementioned shooter is marked 'Drink Pepsi Cola' in the under-base cavity, but I've seen others. Then, below the Diver/Swimmer we see from left to right; what I think is a Marx UK Swimmer, then the Linde/Jean/Manurba premium then the US Marx 60mm Swimmer and as a bit of a laugh, the old man from the Ideal/Mattel/Hasbro Mouse Trap board game!

Markings and size are the reason for the 7 ranks, and are as follows;
Top row - 54mm, marked 'MADE IN HONG KONG' in similar cavity to Pepsicorp figure.
2nd row - 40mm, Olympic rings base unmarked, with chads.
3rd row - 35mm, solid base with raised lines and 'MADE IN HONG KONG'
4th row - 35mm, chad base with 'H.K'
5th row - 30mm, solid base with uneven 'HONG KONG'
6th row - 30mm, chads with 'HONG' and 'KONG' on separate un-chadded discs
7th row - 28mm, chadded, unmarked.

[For those who don't follow tight elections (or should that be stitch-ups!), chads are the little holes left by punches!]

No comments: