About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

H is for Half-track

My Artillery tractors lined up, it's a poor photograph I'm afraid. The gun on the left is actually the Matchbox Pak.40, but it was such a simple model next to the others, I gave it a curved shield to make it look more like a Pak.38 with the 50cm barrel.

This is supposed to be a Sd.Kfz10, smaller of the workhorse family, I converted it from the Matchbox Sd.Kfz.11 which was as awful as the gun it accompanied! It was not the most successful of conversions and the bonnet is all wrong, but at the time I was looking to produce war-games vehicles and it 'looked' right. The Nebelwerfer is the Esci one with a canvas weather cover made from tissue, and a battery number painted after a photograph in - I think - Panzer Colours.

In order to escape from the problem of building an interior I couldn't find good images of, I carved a piece of balsa until it fitted snugly against the windscreen and body sides, overlaid Evergreen round section strips as a tilt frame and covered the whole thing in tissue. The flexible PVC windows were represented by squares of draughtsman's paper with the pull-down folds drawn in in faint pencil.

This is the late-war einheits cab/'pick-up' truck variant of the Sd.Kfz.11, based on the Esci kit, and in some respects as amateurish as the previous one, however, in my defence - I only had a fuzzy black & white photograph on the instruction sheet to guide me. There are now some very good pictures of this variant on the Internet. Cab is scratch-built from the bonnet back to represent the 'einheits' wooden cab.

The Esci Kfz.11 straight from the box, note how it can't pull it's own gun properly as the gun is configured for firing only! Compare with the previous image which includes the Fujimi gun, which is configured for travelling. Airfix also made a Pak.40, and the three are all well detailed and about the same size, unlike the Matchbox pixie-gun.

No comments: